Saturday, June 28, 2008

Universal Soundtrack of Life

We all have those songs that trigger memories of times past. To this day everytime I hear Prince's "When Dove's Cry" I am transported back to 1984 and I can almost smell the sea air that was near our home and I half expect our dog "Tippy", who died that year, to come trotting into the room. I even glance at the walls really fast and expect to see Duran Duran posters....
This is an ongoing thing for some of us. But now, we can actually have a soundtrack that everyone hears, and it is amazing the number of people who have it. It's right there in your pocket or purse...or clipped to your belt. It's your cell phone. More specifically, your ring tone. I got a new phone recently and wanted to download a ringtone that reflected me at this point in my life. It became funny to me because I suddenly realized that I wasn't choosing this tone entirely for myself. In part I was choosing it for the people around me who would hear it. Let's face it, we want to see people's reaction to our choices in phone songs.
The first song that I chose was the theme to the Exorcist...just for that vaguely haunting and eerie quality. But I wanted tones to match my different moods. Next to be downloaded was the chorus to Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie". I like the song. I used to be able to shake my bon-bon to it until my fibromyalgia became severe last summer...so I think I downloaded it as a hopeful sort of thing.
Once I had those two downloaded, I realized I needed something for the days when i am not feeling the need to fuck with others or steeped in hope of dancing again...I need something the suited my typical mood...I searched for a while and finally came up with two songs that I want for myself as well as for others to hear coming out of my pants. The first....the theme to the Pink Panther. When it plays I can pretend to be stealthy and sly.
The other song...the work of art...the source of great glee to me was the chorus to Bad Day by Daniel Powter. Here's what was happening in my mind's eye that triggered this selection of perfection....
I am walking down the aisle at work, it's been a rough day, but it is finally over. As I am making the long journey towards the door, someone calls me, and the song springs forth from my pants spewing it's poignant lyrics --
"Because you had a bad day You're taking one down You sing a sad song just to turn it around You say you don't know You tell me don't lie You work at a smile and you go for a ride You had a bad day The camera don't lie You're coming back down and you really don't mind You had a bad day"
And as this universal peice of poetry plays, I am moving in slow motion, in time with the song, down the aisle, and people will look and see me, and marvel at the strength of my character for making it thru hell, and they will be awed that I am so great that not only did I survive another day in hell, but I earned my own soundtrack in the process. Hell, there is a cameraman with me, catching all of my glory. They have followed me around all day waiting for my phone to ring while I walk down a long aisle just to get this shot!
Recently I have changed my ringtone from this song simply because I am soooo sick of it. Now I have Alanis Morissette letting everyone know that I am a Citizen of This Planet. She's a goddess.
Don't sit there and look at me like I'm nuts.....you know you have thought about it too.....
NOW... CUE THE DRAMATIC MUSIC!!

Visit My e-store!
www.bentwiredandstoned.com
Jewelry - because chocolate doesn't last forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?