Sunday, January 11, 2009

Abra Moore - Soulful, Independent, and Resonating


Abra Moore has been on the music scene for over a decade now, and I am at a loss as to why more people don’t know about her or her music. But then, in a society that glorifies flakey media whores over people of genuine talent and soul, I can’t really say I am all that surprised.
Abra Moore, born June 8th, 1969 in San Diego, CA, is best described as a subtle force to be reckoned with. Her music combines a soulful indie-rock spirit with a stylized flow that creates a safe haven for the listener, while moving them towards a gutsy, non-commercialized realm of alternative music coupled with a smattering of jazz. Her sound is bohemian and conventional at the same time, making her an icon on the Austin Texas music scene (and if you have ever been to Austin during their annual music festivals, you KNOW that this is not small praise).
My first introduction to her music actually came from hearing one of her songs in the background of a tv show. The song, “Family Affair” grabbed me immediately and nearly reduced me to tears. The words were so simple, and in their simplicity, they were deeply resonating. I couldn’t get to my computer fast enough to run a lyrics search and find the melancholy goddess whose sound was rolling around in my head with no signs of stopping. Very few musicians can capture me so completely with only a few bars of music. Abra captured me, tied me up, took me hostage, and has yet to let me go… not that I am trying to escape.
While her music transports you, her lyrics ground you. Her words ring with truth and familiarity on many levels. She’s relatable and accessible whether she is singing about family or rollercoaster that is love.
If you enjoy Fiona Apple, Rie Sinclair, Anna Nalick, Jewel, and the like, you will want to give Abra Moore a listen.

Quick Lyrics: Family Affair

I sleep all day, what makes me feel this way.When everything's a bust, when everything keeps loosing my trust.Where do we begin with this unhappy ending.Where do we begin after all that we've done.How do we begin to say I forgive youAnd how do we begin to repair this family affair.
Artist: Abra Moore – Song Title: Family Affair – Album: Everything Changed






All lyrics are property and copyright of their owners. All lyrics provided for educational purposes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?